Skip links
Canada extends work permit for British Youth

Canada Expands Work Permit for British Youth

Canada and the United Kingdom signed a new agreement in regard to young people in Britain who want to work in Canada in 2024. The new agreement between the two countries, Canada-UK Youth Mobility Arrangement will open up UK youths with a much wider opportunity to participate in the International Experience Canada (IEC) program. 

As Canada expands work permit for British Youth in this new agreement which will be effective in 2024, the following are the amendments made:

  • an expansion of the eligibility age to 18-35
  • the addition of two new streams for UK nationals moving to Canada
  • an increase in the work permit period to 3 years

The existing Youth Mobility Agreement which was launched in 2008, stated that young people in Britain could only take part if they were between the ages of 18 and 30. Additionally, they were limited to applying for a Working Holiday Visa under the IEC and could only work in Canada for a maximum of two years.

Considering how the Brits have benefitted by migrating to Canada, and Canadians as well migrating to the UK in the Youth Mobility scheme, the new agreement has been made to provide a larger opportunity for youth in both countries to experience new cultures, perspectives, learn new skills, gain international experience, and be useful to their host country and home country when they return. 

British Youth who would like to stay in Canada after their work permit has ended have a higher chance to change their status to Canadian permanent residents.  

About the international Experience Canada (IEC)

The International Experience Canada program (IEC) is a temporary work permit that allows Canadian and international youth to travel, live and work in each other’s country. The Youth mobility agreements operate under the Canadian government’s International Experience Canada (IEC) program. It has three categories of participants:

  • Working Holiday: an open work permit that allows youth to work for any employer anywhere in Canada. 
  • International Co-op (Internship): an employer-specific work permit that allows students to gain work experience related to their studies.
  • Young Professionals: an employer-specific work visa to get professional work experience relevant to their field of study or career path.

Canada has signed youth mobility agreements with 37 nations. Being one of the ways to counter economic and labour shortages in Canada, the Canadian government has opened doors to almost 90,000 youth around the world to relocate through International Experience Canada (IEC). As of Today, July 14, there are still more than 21,000 slots available for young people to move to Canada from all the participating countries.


Hello! Do you have any questions about immigration?Contact us today to see how we can help you.

This website uses cookies to improve your web experience.

Get the Latest News & Updates

Sign up for the PDE Consulting newsletter to get the latest immigration news and updates to help you succeed in Canada.